Saturday, November 7, 2020

Back In The Saddle Again!

 It has been too long since I even felt like posting on this blog, but even longer since I knew how! I got locked out due to a weird crossover between Blogger accounts (thanks to Guitar Ted for helping me figure that one out!) 

So, as my first post back, I'm going to put up some images from my "Birthday Ride" from this year. Annually, for the last decade, I have ridden the amount of miles that correspond to my age for the year. This year, like most, I padded it with a few bonus miles. This was a perfect day for a good long ride. Many factors contributed to this being such a good time. Firstly, it is always fun to explore new gravel and this was about 50% new. I have always, and I mean always, been curious about the road that became my turn around point. It terminates at Highway 17 where the bridge over Saylorville Lake is. I have looked at this road on maps, looked at it on satellite images, can't even drive by there without looking over at it! So, that curiosity is all satisfied now and was well worth it. Secondly, the weather was ideal. Warm but not hot, windy but it was a straight headwind out, perfect tailwind back, and the dust was awesomely dusty! "In Dust We Trust" "Dusty=Trusty" Even the sunlight in this later part of the year has a nice quality.

I am shocked at the total amount of climbing. 13000+ feet! That is a lot I think? For flat old Iowa anyway. I love having a watch that will record it all and will display so much information. Mine is an Amazfit T-rex. It is very easy to navigate the screens while riding, and uploads all of the data to my phone without hesitation. It tracks sleep quality while off the bike, steps during a day (which I'm not sure why this is such a big deal? I walk10000+ every day at work with ease.) 

So, here are a few images from the day. Have to say, at 55 I feel great, and am thankful to be able to go out on a whim and put down a 63 mile ride. What a blessing to have the desire to pursue healthy habits. 








No comments: