Thursday, October 19, 2017

You Know All The Answers Must Come From Within

I just realized that I have been delinquent in blogging about my riding. I assure you, the lone reader, that I have not given up riding, building bikes, discovering new trails and roads, or even poured myself into new hobbies. I'm a biker, can't quit if I had to.
The images here are from yesterday. I rode my age in miles, 52 this year. It's my own annual physical of sorts. Much like last year the weather was ideal, and my nutrition was dismal. I neglected to pack any food, only one water bottle, no tools, and no sun glasses. I paid the nutritional price for it too. I was walking hills toward the end that I would normally laugh at. I'm sure that I had a goofy look on my face. The vacant stare of a third world starving fool perhaps? Yep. Oh well, I survived. Seriously, these are some massive river valley hills that I rode, along with a Class C road that simply petered out into nothing.

 I'll go back on a proper gravel bike some day and show those miles who's the boss. My 40 pound Mongoose Malus was not the ideal weapon for these roads, but the tires just sound so good on that White Rock gravel that it's worth every aching mile. Still funny to me that one county (Boone) will have brown gravel and the next (Webster and Hamilton) will have tiny sized white rock. I much prefer the white as it puts a better coat of dust on your bike, but maybe that's just me? Badge of Honor kind of thing.
So here are some pics, and I'll do a write up on the trip I took to Duluth back in July and August. Solo ride to Split Rock Light House up in my absolute favorite place ever. That was a soul cleansing experience and I'm better off for having done it. Bikes can solve a lot of problems. Or, at least, they can empower you to solve them yourself. Later!







I have ridden many a gravel mile and never have I seen a feature like this. The county boys poured a concrete culvert right across the road. Must really be a rager when the rain is heavy. This area is known as Deception Hollow, on Maguire's Bend. You look at the river and it defies logic by flowing in what seems like the wrong direction. Super cool.


They put signs like this out there to tempt simple minded idiots like me. Speaking of, October 17th is the birthday of America's Greatest Showman, Evel Knievel! Alright, bye now.

3 comments:

NoVisibleLycra said...

Hey Greg, glad to see you hadn't stopped blogging and a great post to come back on. I'm flying to Memphis today (Oct 24th) but I know it's a long way from you; I'll be driving into Blytheville on the 25th and then Osceola, both in Arkansas. I doubt I'll have time to ride, but NoVisibleLycra is still going strong as you know. One great line (of many) on your latest post: "Bikes can solve a lot of problems. Or, at least, they can empower you to solve them yourself." Damn right. I need to ride more. In June I did a lot of riding around Vienna and I've never felt so good. Keep riding, as they say, and talk again soon.

Travel Gravel said...

Hi Matt, I've been reading your post regularly. You keep up with your posting and riding a lot more than I do. I've been busy with my parents lately, both in a home and one mostly blind, the other has dementia. It's a workout for sure. Finding time back in July to go to Minnesota to ride was awesome for me. A two part post from that trip is in the wings. Take care in the big old world! Don't hate on America because of the buffoon in our White House, he's just a distraction.

NoVisibleLycra said...

I'll never hate the USA, it's my favourite place, love it, and yeah, Donald Trump. Well, you can't have it all, I guess, but in four years from now perhaps he'll be out and somebody decent in. Sorry to hear about your folks, and yes, I'd imagine they both keep you busy, but glad you're still blogging and are planning more posts. Back from Memphis now and never got around to riding a bike, not that I noticed a bike share scheme in town. Saw a couple of cool Schwinn bikes outside a clothes shop, but that's as far as it got. Talk again! Matt.