Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fresh POWDER + Repaired Skibike =

First tracking the big sledding hill in our local park! I knew when I pulled up to the parking lot that I would be there all day. But knew also that I had to leave in time to get the boys from school, and with a 2 hour delay this morning, time was burning. I hiked to the top (pushing the bike is easier than carrying, ski bike or not) and carved down the face about a dozen times. Then some high school aged guys came along and wanted to try the ski bike, so I let them take a few runs each. Looks like they'll be trying to make one soon too! Soon I would have to go to pick up the boys, so I went over to the chute that I have ridden previously and ravaged it a few times. It was so icy getting back up this area though, that I soon said, "Enough for one day." I must be getting tougher in my old age because I swear that I had no idea that it was that cold out today. No idea! I think we made it to 8 degrees. I also rode to Hy-Vee for a few things Kelli needed just a half hour ago, and felt no misery. Maybe I have finally learned to ignore the cold? I consider it training for my dream job, U.S. Postal Carrier! I'm serious, one call from the HR people and I'm so gone my current employer will have to call my wife to find out what ever happened to me. The current housing slump has slowed furniture sales to a crawl at best. Throw in the "R" word that all the news outlets are batting about, add a pinch of $3.00 gas, and voila! You ain't got squat! Give me a job where I go in, prep my route, walk all day in the fresh air while making decent bank, and go home at the end of the day without a care, and you will have given me the world! Too bad there's a hiring freeze right now, but I'm still in the hiring pool.
On the bike front, I am still hoping to buy some Alien fixed wheels soon. I have so many bikes I can put them on it's just plain silly. These wheels are completely blacked out, single sided threading, and deep profile. Love at first sight. I'll add a dozen or more bikes to FGG by myself. Speaking of FGG, Dennis is closing in on 7,000 bikes posted to the site! WOW! I'm lucky to have discovered it at about #56, so I have seen every one of the bikes over the last few years.
Roller project is coming together pretty well I think. One of the guys in our repair shop gave me 6 sealed cartridge bearings that he had from some glider rockers, so my $ total will drop from about $30.00 to about $5.00! Score! Can't decide if I should go for the rails in solid Asian Pine with heart grain, or plywood turned on edge to show the layers. I think the plywood for the defined lines, plus it's probably stronger when stood on edge. Additionally, I will have to press the bearings into the wood rails, so plywood makes the most sense to me. I hope I have enough old chain around to run the front and middle rollers around some 32 tooth chain wheels. Making it a fixed gear roller set? I will probably die trying to ride them, but then, I have survived so far on the ski bike, and everyone thought I was a goner for sure! Later!
No "Bike Of The Week" lately because my super efficient wife took all of our pics off the hard drive and put them on disc! It may be a while before I find the damn disc! ARG!

No comments: