Sunday, December 13, 2009

Green Tires

Does anyone remember a 26" tire from the early 90s that was a green color tread? I'm NOT thinking of Michelins, (although they are my favorite tire ever!) or Geax. These were a skinwall tire, had an arrow or dart tread up front and a block/paddle rear tread, and were a Kevlar bead perhaps? The rubber was a pine green color. I had a pair and couldn't get them to seat onto the rim for crap, so I sent them back. I'm just curious as to the name of them. I feel like I remember "Commando" or "Comanche" or something, but could be way off. I also wish I had my old Tioga Farmer John/Farmer John's Cousins back, just for old time's sake. Panaracer "Smoke/Dart" with Magic rubber, still in the garage. Onza "Racing Porcs", gott'em. (I would kill for a set in the white rubber!) Old tires are weird. I saved the sidewall on my FJ Cousin with some Shoe Goo, got a few extra miles out of them, and then tossed them. ARGHHHH! Oh well, there's a ton of old good junk I wish I had back:( Like my first ever MTB, a yellow Diamond Back Ascent which was sold to me on the premise that if I straddled the bike, and could pull it up an inch before the top tube hit my inseam, then it was the right fit. Seriously? Wish I had the old pair of Duegi shoes that got me through the mud race at Millville in ?'92? even though they were black with neon yellow and hot pink on the tongue. Or my neon green seat leash that I bought in Algona on RAGBRAI. Every purple ano bit I ever had!!!!!! My Mavic "Sunset Ano" rims that were built up with White Industries hubs, rudely eaten by a large stick, ripping the eyelets out of the back rim:( I could go on, but will never get that good old junk back. I guess I'll just have to save more of my current junk huh? Later!

4 comments:

bluecolnago said...

ohhhhhhhhhh.......... the old days! i remember fitting my first ever real racing bike the exact same way. 2 fingers between the top tube and your berries, lift it an inch. wow! i still have that bike!

Travel Gravel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MrDaveyGie said...

I did something, I still regret. I had an old Trek Road bike I purchased used. Years later I gave it away. Which is no problem. Later I found out how you could look up what year the bike was made by the serial number. The bike was made the 2nd year Trek existed. So I asked my friend if he was still riding that bike thought maybe I would make him a trade. He said, "No, I junked the bike out, didn't ride it much."

Travel Gravel said...

That fitting system is the reason that Lance rides a frame that is one size too large.