Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Need Feedback

I need people to input their ideas and willingness to participate in something I dreamt up the other day. I rode on the protest ride last Tuesday from the statehouse to Adel. The ride was organized to give a voice to cyclists who are facing the potential loss of our rights to ride on county roads. Crawford County is against RAGBRAI in particular, and now Dallas county is trying to put their collective foot down on "organized rides" to limit the number of riders in a "group." You know, and I know, that this is B.S.!!!!! and I wanted to ride mostly in support of cyclists rights. This piece of legislation is written so poorly, and leaves the county in a postion to be sued anyways, that it can't possibly be written into law the way it stands. This is, however, the way our rights begin to slip away. Dallas County has their target number at 20 for a "group," and they have plenty of people riding their county roads and trails. But what about a less bike oriented county like Boone County. What if my county supervisors say, "We need to ban bicyclists from riding on our county roads because we know we don't maintain them well enough, but banning bikes is easier than fixing roads, so no more. All in favor...done!" Thank goodness enough people had the drive to stand up in Adel and say, "Excuse me...." Though I did not address the county cronies myself, many people did. Their passion for cycling was awesome, and inspiring too. So I wanted to find a way for myself to say, "Bikes Belong on Iowa Roads!" and came up with this idea. Every year there is a celebration in Boone called Pufferbilly Days. We have a huge parade, which anyone can enter free! I thought if I could get enough people to commit to riding their bikes in the parade, with signs or banners, etc. stating the simple message, "Bikes Belong On Iowa Roads" that we could raise the profile of cycling and have a few thousand people see that bikes are ridden by all kinds of people, on all types of road surfaces (not just pavement.) I'm sure that if we tossed out candy, or those Bike Iowa reflective key fobs, or even hand out the maps that show bike paths in the state, that we could do some good. If it isn't too weird we could even have memorials to people who have been hit and/or killed on our roadways. Hell, Boone county has had two in the last year or so, and one was a hit and run! F that! So what do you think? I would like to know who might be interested, what other ideas some of you might have, who can pull strings to get handout stuff, etc. I will base my next moves on the responses. My kids are super stoked on the idea, and I just think it is do-able. Please respond. Later! Travel Gravel!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will Pufferbilly days be? I thought around Labor Day? Nick

Travel Gravel said...

Nick, it is the weekend after the 24 hour race. If you know some others who might ride, let them know to go to my blog and comment. Thanks for reading Smiley! Later!

Julie said...

How about a "share the road" banner? May seem a little less harsh. Hand out stickers, key fobs, flyers. The Sedore's can't ride, already have stuff that weekend, but it sounds like a great idea!

Travel Gravel said...

Julie, a great idea. I have thought of many other banner-worthy slogans also. Family friendly and non-confrontational. Later!